Sunday, August 23, 2009

Billy Graham denying Christ as the Only Way

I must first begin by clearly stating that I do not enjoy posting what follows, but I am obligated to do so as an elder (Titus 1:9). I have recently heard some in our church speak very highly of Billy Graham. Given the fact that most people are not involved in apologetics and/or have not read about the historical details regarding Billy Graham's ministry and his changing doctrinal views over the years, that is certainly understandable. However, there are some professing Christians who do know about Graham's heretical statements, yet the continue to affirm him as a faithful man of God. For years, Billy Graham has denied the following Scriptures:
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. (John 14:6 NAU)

And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved. (Acts 4:12 NAU)

For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, (1 Timothy 2:5 NAU)
The following video shows that Graham affirms the false teaching called the "wider mercy" view of salvation:



Here is MacArthur's commentary on it:



Here is what Paul Washer recently said about Billy Graham's comments:
I have always sought to be charitable regarding those who preach in the name of Christ. This has been especially true in the case of Billy Graham. However in the last year I have seen and heard several things regarding his beliefs and ministry that have led me to withdraw any recommendation of his person and preaching. I regret my past positive statements regarding the man and his ministry. It saddens me, but I would have to now agree with [the] conclusions: He is either suffering from some sort of dementia or he has denied Christ as the only way, truth, and life.
I do not post these things as a means to poke fun at Billy Graham or get a "dig" at a famous preacher. If such were my motivation, then such would be sinful (Proverbs 14:9). I post these things because our church needs to be aware of Graham's beliefs for their own spiritual health, welfare, and discernment (2 Timothy 4:3-4). Some have tried to connect Graham's heresy solely with age-induced dementia, but the problem with this is the fact that he has gotten progressively more ecumenical since the late 1950s and early 60s and his doctrinal "looseness" has only gotten worse with old age. Thus, any dementia that he may have has probably only exacerbated his latent heretical tendencies. I sincerely hope that Mr. Graham will have the mental capacity this late in his life to become aware of his heresy and repent of it before its too late.

HT: Puritan Fellowship